Being organised is the start of achieving work like balance. So too is commitment, focus and dedication in achieving work life balance. These 8 tips to create work life balance are aimed at helping you to create work life balance. It’s definitely not easy and the wheels are going to fall off every so often, and that’s fine. What’s important is that you stay committed to the goal of work life balance.
8 tips to create work life balance
- Sync your calendars. Consolidate all your personal and work commitments into the same calendar. That way you won’t forget anything and I find it makes me work more efficiently during the work day if they are all stored in the same spot.
- Block out your time. Block out “fun” time in your diary. Get tough and make this “not negotiable”. Don’t let work take over and therefor you miss out on social activities.
- Plan, plan and plan. The key to work life balance is all about planning. Sit down at the start of each month and update your calendar, making sure you have scheduled in all the tasks you need to do and some fun stuff too. Obviously this will keep evolving over the coming month and you will keep adding to it.
- Record key birthdays in your calendar. Put all the key birthdays in your outlook calendar and set them up as repeating events. That way they will show up every year. You will know when you need to be taking time off work to spend with loved ones.
- Start small. Try adding even the tiniest tasks to your daily to do list. Then, when you cross them off the list, you already feel a sense of accomplishment and gain the momentum you need to tackle the bigger more daunting tasks.
- Work out. Did you know that fitness is the driving force that keeps people energised, focused and motivated? Take the time you deserve to do a little bit of exercise every day. Even if that’s 30 minutes at once or 10 minutes at a time throughout the day. Don’t have 10 minutes. Then what about 7 minutes? Have you heard of the 7 Minute Workout? It’s a free daily fitness routine found on the App Store.
- Learn to say no. “Sometimes work-life balance means saying “no”, politely of course. When an opportunity, activity or request comes up that doesn’t fit into your schedule, or is going to put you under too much pressure, sometimes you’ve just have to say no.
- Prepare for the day ahead. Before going to bed, pack up anything you need for the next morning including clothes and a health lunch. Being prepared will help you get out the door quickly. Plus, you can relax going to bed knowing that you are all organised for the day ahead.
If you are struggling to achieve work life balance in your life, then perhaps you need some expert help. The Lifestylers Group is a personal concierge service that can do many of your daily tasks. Our goal is for you to have more free time to do the things you want to do, not have to do!