Are You Moving House?
Moving house is a huge job. However, moving doesn’t have to be an ordeal. This checklist and timeline should help you plan for your move. I would also recommend that you start organising your move, at least a month in advance. For big moves, or interstate moves you will need to start organising your move much earlier than 4 weeks. Good luck and I hope these moving tips, help take the pressure off your move.
4 Weeks Before the Move
- Set up a “Moving House Folder” containing all your moving documents
- Organise removalist quotes. (Remember the good ones always book out first)
- Make a floor plan of your new house detailing where your furniture will go. Dispose of items that won’t fit.
- Start decluttering your house and throw out or donate items that you don’t want to take to the new house.
- If renting, formally notify the realestate agent of your vacate date.
2 Weeks Before the Move
- Confirm house and carpet cleaning. (Check with your realestate agent, if they have preferred suppliers)
- Organise utility connection/disconnections.
- Start using up any remaining food in your refrigerator/freezer.
- Cancel newspaper, milk and other deliveries
- Finalise any additional moving documentation such as transit insurance, house or contents insurance.
- Organise for pets to be moved to their new home
- Organise accommodation and travel arrangements for the duration of the moving process.
1 Week Before the Move
- Lodge your Australia Post Mail Redirection forms.
- Advise relevant organisations of your change of address details.
- Back up your computer hard drive and ensure your printer and scanner are ready to be packed securely.
- Organise rubbish removal
1 Day Before the Move
- If booked, professional packers will arrive and pack up your house in a day. Remember to leave out items not to be packed including clothes and medicines that might be required on the day of the move.
- Place important items in your “Moving House Survival Kit” e.g. new keys and remote control, mobile phone charger, Panadol, toilet paper, kid’s toys or activities, phone number of your new local takeaway place and your “Moving House Folder”.
On The Moving Day
- If appropriate, reserve a park out the front of your apartment or house for the removalists
- Do a final check of all cupboards, rooms and outdoor areas before the removalist leaves.
- Let the cleaners in so they can start the vacate clean.
- Do a final check of the property ensuring it’s thoroughly cleaned, rubbish removed, light globes replaced.
- Return the keys to the realestate agent.
- Once you’re settled into your new home, complete and return the property inspection report to the real estate agent, within the agreed time frame.
Don’t have time to organise your move, pack and then unpack at the other end?
Then contact The Lifestylers Group and we can organise it for you. Whether it’s packing up the kitchen, the entire house or helping to organise your move, we can help take the hassle out of moving house. The Lifestylers Group offer a comprehensive house relocation service including:
Relocation Assistance | House Packing and Unpacking | Home Organising & Decluttering
Until next time, happy moving.
Natalie Morey, Professional Organiser.